It’s bee season and the experts from Abell Pest Control have some tips on how to ‘bee friendly’ and minimize the risk of bee stings.
Bees are important pollinators as they play a critical role in pollinating trees and flowers and maintaining healthy ecosystems, which are essential for our food production. However, encounters with bees can be frightening and can sometimes result in stings.
By following a few simple tips on how to ‘bee friendly‘, you can enjoy their beauty, keep them safe, and encourage them to thrive and stay safe.
- Keep food and sweet beverages covered when dining outdoors. Be sure to remove all dirty dishes and food as soon as you’re done eating.
- Avoid fragrances when spending time outdoors. Bees are naturally attracted to flowery or fruity-scented lotions and perfumes.
- Wear protective clothing. Consider wearing long sleeves, pants, and closed-toed shoes to keep them from landing on your skin. You might also want to stay away from bright colours as bees are drawn to them.
- Stay calm and avoid provoking them. Bees are generally docile unless they perceive a threat. Swatting them away can trigger a response that will increase your risk of getting stung. Instead, hold still and allow them to fly away on their own.
- Do Not attempt to remove a bee hive yourself, always call a professional. Removing a nest often requires a professional trained in removal.